Learn about CBD topicals
CBD topicals provide a unique way to harness some of the remedial properties of cannabidiol, which is found within the hemp plant. They usually come in the form of creams, lotions or ointments and are absorbed through the skin, interacting with the body’s ECS (endocannabinoid system). Many have begun to use them in the place of sports balms and pain killers, as they give users the opportunity to benefit from the effects of CBD without ingestion or inhalation.
Benefits of using CBD Topicals
One of the main reasons CBD topicals may be the preferred method of consumption is because of its fast absorption rate through the skin. Typically, when CBD products are administered orally, it may take up to two hours for the users to achieve the desired effects. With transdermal use, the compounds are absorbed almost instantly, providing a quicker form of relief. CBD topicals can be applied directly to the affected area for more focused results.
Most common uses
Though many praise the remarkable benefits of CBD, the mainstream medical community seems to be lagging behind when it comes to substantiating some of these claims and providing concrete evidence of the compound’s effectiveness. Nevertheless, this does not seem to be much of a deterrent for those that have tried traditional forms of treatment with little or no success. CBD topicals are considered relatively safe to use and are could be effective in offering relief for a host of conditions. Some of these include:
- Arthritic and joint pain
- Skin conditions (rashes, fungal infections, dermatitis, pimples)
- Muscle spasms
- Menstrual cramps
- Nerve pain
Anecdotal data suggests that this list is far from exhaustive, however it does reflect just how versatile CBD topicals can be in helping with a plethora of ailments.
How to apply CBD Topicals effectively
In concept, using any topical should be relatively simple. Just place the lotion or ointment on the affected area and wait for some sort of reaction. However, if you are seeking to maximize its effectiveness, these steps can be helpful in attaining the best possible results:
- Ensure that the targeted area is clean and dry– This creates the right conditions for proper absorption through the skin.
- Start small and increase gradually– This is a rule of thumb for trying any new form of treatment. It helps the user to determine what dosage is most effective and reduces the chance of the wasting the product by applying too much.
- Massage the topical on the affected area– Make sure that the topical is evenly distributed and gets adequate time to absorb through the skin. Slow circular motions are recommended until desired effects are achieved.
- Reapply where necessary– Upon application, most people report almost instant relief in the afflicted area. If the initial amount has little to no impact, more can be administered as seen fit.
Though the reported risk for CBD products as a whole is relatively low, it’s always recommended to seek some medical advice to determine if the product is safe for you. For first timers, this helps to reduce the risk of allergic reactions and other undesired effects.